South Shore Anglers Club
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
jbdba01

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 700
Reply with quote  #1 
Several years ago I had to replace my baitwell motor and in the process put in a not so good butt joint and used electrical tape to seal things up.  I had been thinking about fixing this up, but had put it off for a while.

With the storms coming through I decided I might as well knock it out.

Here's the butt joint after I cut it out.  I'm surprised it even worked.


I swapped out the hard connect with some clips - this would allow me to replace a motor without having to cut wires again.

Here are the clips - my neighbor was kind enough to let me use some of the electric-guard - basically make things less likely to corrode.


After connnnecting  the male and female clips I used some heat shrink tubing and my heat gun to seal things up.


The new clips were a bit bulkier, but I had some leftover wire wrap to get things done.


I found a replacement motor I had originally ordered (just in case) and put the clips and sealed her up too.  I now keep the 500 GPH motor in the boat - just in case things get weird with the 750 GPH one.  I had one go out a couple years ago, and there not much worse or can ruin fishing faster than a dead baitwell.


I reinstalled the motor, and stored the 500GPH as an emergency backup in the boat.  In a pinch it would probably take about 10-15 minutes to get that 500 GPH motor in. All that's left are threadfins and poon.  

__________________
JB
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:


Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!